Monday, 2 October 2017

Project Update | Minor Project | Year 3

Originally I wanted my project to focus on trying to recreate something from the past. Instead I've switched views and my project is now focused on trying imagine the future with the help of some other people.  "It’s the Year 2500"

I've created a 'kit' which is being sent out to a range of people which consist of paper, tracing paper, a black felt tip and a list of questions. At the moment I've selected 10 people of all ages and career paths and they will be drawing responses to the questions and hopefully giving me a written response as well. 

The questions are as follows:

  • Describe your home – what does it look like?
  • How are you cooking your dinner?
  • How are you watching television?
  • What is your mode of transport and where do you keep it?
  • What are you/your children playing with?
  • Describe your garden/outdoor space.
  • What is the year 2500 like to live in?
  • What can you see from your window?

Whatever I get back from these 10 people will hopefully give me the grounds to start developing some interesting ideas. I'm hoping that I can take their drawings and create 'blueprints' for each response. Where it goes from here will be decided upon once I receive the drawings. I might directly use their ideas, take inspiration from their drawings or even improve upon their drawings. 

Where it goes from here all depends upon the feedback from each person!

Monday, 28 August 2017

Project Ideas | Minor Project | Year 3

I want my project to be titled "Beyond the Unknown" as I want to create a 3D model of a town, location or set ideally based in the past. This is because a lot of our historical sites are either badly damaged by time and weather, destroyed or simply unfinished. I have 10 ideas in which I expanded on and a further 8 which is purely location only. I have so many ideas because I'm very aware that some of them are unfeasible by either the amount of work or what would be required to complete some of them. I have had a chat with Phil and imaging what the future would look like is also possible but I thought that I would list everything that I have thought of so far.

  • Underwater greek/roman city
  • Filmed from a diver’s perspective
  • Used as an education tool/to help scholars/students visualse what it could have looked like
Mayan Empire
  • Then & now
  • 3D model of one of the ‘lost cities’ and how it could have looked like
  • Model its final resting place and how the ship now looks
  • Could be used to enhance learning about the events
Recreation of Rochester Castle
  • Working from historical documents and imagery
  • Recreate Rochester Castle in its hay-day
Pyramids of Giza
  • 3D model of the pyramids including the speculated chambers
Fotheringhay Castle, (Oundle Northamptonshire)
  • Recreation of the castle as all thats left is one lump of stonework
Lyveden New Bield
  • unfinished Elizabethan summer house
  • 3D model to show what it could have looked like if it had ever been finished
Chatham Dockyards
  • 3D model to show its useage during some of its busiest times

Port Lympne Castle (Kent)

  • 3D model of the castle and surrounding areas to show what it could have looked like during medieval times when it was first built 
Fort Amherst
  • 3D model of the tunnel network showing the Fort during it's various stages of use.
  • I am also aware that they are possibly due to get more plans of blocked off tunnels from the government soon. 
Collossus of Rhodes
Alexandria Lighthouse (Egypt)
Tower of Babel
Old oil plants
Industrial esate
Ford Dagenham
Fleggburgh Hall (Felbrigg Hall, Gardens and Estate, Norfolk)

Monday, 10 July 2017

Resit Submission Post & Reflective Statement

Lighting and Rendering

Mental Ray Part 11

Jet Pack Jones

Facial Rigging

Unfortunately due to issues that I ran into along the way, I wasn't able to complete the texturing for Jet Pack Jones. However I do feel that I have learnt a lot from these tutorials and have learnt that Macs do not have as many constraints when working in Maya like I first thought. The main issues that I had was needing to use HDR a windows program (sorted in the end) and how tabs have moved so drastically from the 2015 Maya to 2016 Maya. The learning curve has been steep and it was great in some instances to learn the maths side behind the tutorial. I would like to try and use some of the lighting and rendering techniques again in the future but my next challenge will be using the correct lighting method at the right time.

Texturing 1 & 2 | Jet Pack Jones | Maya Tutorials | Resit | Year 2

I was unable to present images for part 1 as I deleted the previous high-res models and the smoothed models also. But I did get the use normal maps and understand what baking is. Below are the images from that part.

Mental Ray Part 7 (completed) | Maya Tutorials | Resit | Year 2

This was a very interesting tutorial to do. I'm unsure why my shadow is clipped or why the shadow was originally square but this is as close as I could get.

Facial Rigging Parts 1, 2 & 3 | Jet Pack Jones | Maya Tutorials | Resit | Year 2

TL - Part 2 (the eyes) TR - open mouth
BL - Open eyes BR- mouth parts 3 to 5
Open eyes, closed eyes and cleaning up the model
4 mouth shapes

All of the brow movements
I may have accidentally mixed up the order of some of the screenshots but these are the images I have for the facial rigging videos. It's nice to see a character come to life - even in greyscale!

Rigging Completed | Jet Pack Jones | Maya Tutorials | Resit | Year 2

End of part 1 - rigging the feet

End of part 2 - rigging the spine

Parts 3 & 4 - Arms, fingers, colours and restraints
I forgot to take pictures during the process of these tutorials so I did go back once Part 4 was done to take the images.